Manager, Accounting (Medical)
Posted on: March 21, 2020
Responsible for the direct supervision of CalOptima's Medical
Accounting and General Ledger divisions of the Accounting unit. The
Accounting Manager is also expected to provide explanations and
make recommendations for developing and maintaining accounting
principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely
closing and financial reporting.
- Applies a thorough understanding of CalOptima's policies and
procedures, general ledger structures, and financial
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient
procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of
- Reviews and approves journal entries, monthly account analysis,
and audit related schedules.
- Performs complex reconciliations of revenue, medical
expenditures, and other balances.
- Analyzes and presents monthly financial statements and variance
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine accounting
- Provides training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Interfaces with other departments to verify report data and
solve pending issues.
- Coordinates with CalOptima's independent auditors and
regulators on financial and other audits.
- Works with direct reports to establish performance goals and
objectives, and monitor the progress to ensure the professional
development of the staff in the department.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Work independently with strong initiative and in a dynamic
environment with both short term and long term deadlines.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in
writing, at all organizational levels.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all
staff and external customers.
- Work cooperatively and effectively on group projects.
- Prepare clear, comprehensive reports and presentations.
- Develop extensive healthcare industry knowledge in all aspects
of accounting areas.
- Utilize and access computer and appropriate software (e.g.
Microsoft: Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and job-specific
applications/systems to produce correspondence, charts,
spreadsheets, and/or other information applicable to the
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance,
Accounting, or related field required. Master's degree and/or CPA
is preferred, but not required.
- 5 years of accounting experience with a large corporation,
government, managed care health plan, IPA, or in a hospital setting
- 2 years of supervisory experience required.
- All aspects of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
at an advanced level.
- Principles and practices of the managed health care industry,
including capitation, IBNR and governmental reporting
- Microsoft Excel at an advanced or expert level.
- Methods of financial analysis, estimation, evaluation and
- Techniques and methods in preparing health system reporting
tools, including performance measures.
Job Location Orange, California, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Keywords: CalOptima, Orange , Manager, Accounting (Medical), Healthcare , Orange, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!