We are looking for a Lead Clinical Lab Scientist for the
Clinical Laboratory Department at St. Joseph Hospital Orange.
Location: Orange, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Evenings
Under the direction of a Supervisor, the Lead Clinical
Laboratory Scientist (Lead CLS) utilizes professional knowledge,
skills and judgment to perform a variety of technical, clerical,
physical and quality assurance functions. The Lead CLS works
independently, oversees the day to day operation of the division,
supports leadership of the division and accepts responsibility for
special projects/activities as agreed upon with the supervisor
- Processes patient specimens/blood products as needed for test
ordered and follows through with problems and issues regarding
quality of samples/blood products.
- Performs patient testing analyses, organizing, prioritizing
work as appropriate to meet established turnaround times.
- Performs and monitors quality control responding to out of
range results and takes appropriate action.
- Reviews and evaluates results to determine accuracy and
reasonableness utilizing delta checks, analyzer flags, etc. to
determine discrepancies or problems with specimens. Either acts to
resolve problem or refers problem to supervisor/designee and/or
- Accurately enters patient testing data and comments when
necessary. Documents corrections appropriately when needed.
- Performs start-up, preventative maintenance, linearity &
calibration, and calibration verification on instrumentation as
necessary and appropriate.
- Communicates with nursing and/or physicians as necessary to
report critical values and testing delays as necessary and
- Oversees the work of the Senior Lab Assistants as necessary and
appropriate. Contributes to teaching/training and competency
evaluations of staff.
- Assists in ordering, stocking, cleaning, and other general
- Reports all variances/discrepancies per laboratory Occurrence
Management policy. Keeps current with communications (i.e. reading
emails, technical communications, new procedures). Completes own
competencies and license requirements in a timely manner.
- Supports laboratory management and assumes leadership
responsibilities. Participates and contributes in hospital and
department programs and meetings.
- Coordinates quality control activities and supports activities
associated with regulatory compliance. Maintains current
knowledge/understanding of regulatory standards (CAP, AABB, FDA,
DHS, Joint Commission and other agencies as applicable) and
participates in the division inspection readiness process.
- Coordinates material management activities. Performs product or
test validations and/or evaluations and updates procedures &
policies as directed.
- Assists supervisor in evaluation of operational status of the
division. Performs staff training, competency assessment and offers
remedial action if needed.
- Maintains technical knowledge and competence in operating and
performing test procedures.
- Ability to interpret test results.
- Ability to problem solve within scope of training.
- Ability to perform intermediate computer functions.
- Ability to interact with other healthcare staff members in a
professional courteous manner and demonstrates good communication /
- Ability to direct staff in a competent and professional manner
in the absence of the supervisor.
- Ability to communicate technical knowledge clearly and
- Ability to understand and communicate orally and in
- Ability to follow directions regarding assigned tasks, dealing
with priority tasks first, then complete remaining tasks within the
established time frames.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment and maintain a
pace appropriate to the workload.
- Ability to adapt to changes and follow policies as they
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Science.
Experience: 2 years of experience as a CLS.
Licenses/Certifications: Current California State License for
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (generalist or specialist as
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Licenses/Certifications: ASCP or BB(ASCP) certification from the
American Society for Clinical Pathology.
Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a
text message with additional questions from our Modern Hire
Compassion. Dignity. Justice. Excellence. Integrity.
These timeless values form the heart and soul of St. Joseph
Hospital. They are the prime reason that we attract and retain
high-caliber employees who believe in the sanctity of their work in
our faith-based setting.
As a result of this affinity, most of our employees have
remained with us for at least five years. Over 40 percent of our
new employees were either referred by friends or applied to work at
St. Joseph based on our reputation. It is little wonder, then, that
retention rate is significantly higher than the average for
healthcare institutions in our community.
When you take the latest in medical technology and place it in
the hands of highly skilled clinicians, recognition is sure to
follow. In July 2007, 2008 and 2009, St. Joseph Hospital was named
one "America's Best Hospitals" for Orthopedic Care by U. S. News
and World Report. This highly esteem recognition is testimony to
our unique blend medical science and compassionate, values-based
A haven that feels like home.
St. Joseph Hospital offers a unique environment in which
healthcare givers who share a kindred spirit can do important work
and grow both spiritually and professionally. Here, values-based
employees view their jobs not simply as careers but also as
Care to get acquainted? Then we warmly invite you to explore the
many career opportunities offered by St. Joseph Hospital!
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities
(EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or
genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph
Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the
company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and
conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of
absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment
consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in
for staff vacancies.