Data Analyst, Int. (BHI)
Posted on: January 13, 2020
The Behavioral Health (BH) Data Analyst, Int. is responsible for
tracking and reporting the utilization of Behavioral Health
services in order to identify trends and patterns, and guide
effective business practice. The incumbent identifies analytical
requirements, develops and designs reports, creates and maintains
databases, and develops Tableau dashboards to support the business
requirements of the team, and continually improves data acquisition
and reporting methods. The incumbent is responsible for developing
internal systems to ensure routine, timely, and accurate
submissions of behavioral health data to the Department of Health
Care Services (DHCS) and other external entities. The incumbent is
responsible for accessing, preparing and analyzing reports to
monitor and improve clinical quality.
- Perform data analyses on BH services utilization, performance
outcome, and other topics pertinent to BHI operation.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new
initiatives/pilots; assist in designing new systems, creating
processes, procedures and identifying opportunities for
- Develop and maintain databases used by BHI staff.
- Perform routine and ad hoc reporting for all lines of business
including designing reports and managing data.
- Provide analytical support and technical expertise on requests
for information from Executives, Directors, and other staff
regarding BH services.
- Interface with outside entities and other departments within
CalOptima to identify analytical requirements such as data
exchange, BH reporting, and other BH related data projects.
- Provide feedback to CalOptima's BH vendor(s) to resolve any
data issues and support reporting requirements.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of DHCS and Centers for Medicare
& Medicaid Services (CMS) BH data reporting requirements. Monitor
and report on any changes that affect CalOptima and its BH
- Seek out and adopt best practices in data reporting.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Initiate and follow-through on projects with little supervision
- Work independently as well as cooperatively and effectively on
group projects, under minimal supervision and with multiple
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with BHI
staff, other departments (i.e. IS), and various external
- Present information in a useable format and be able to clearly
- Strong proficiency in spreadsheets, word processing,
presentation and database software programs (e.g. Tableau,
Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, ACCESS); work with complex
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Health Care Administration, Business
Administration, Mathematics or other related field is strongly
- 3 years as a Data Analyst that would provide the knowledge and
- Experience with data reporting within a health insurance or
behavioral health management environment.
- Tableau to design smart dashboards for business analytic.
- Microsoft Access to create ad-hoc reports and design
- Microsoft Excel to manipulate data and produce charts/reports
applicable to reporting requests.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
tasks and use time efficiently.
- Data quality assessment and analysis skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Medical coding, including ICD9/ICD10, CPT, and HCPCS codes
- Medicare/Medi-Cal guidelines, regulations and data reporting
Job Location Orange, California, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Keywords: CalOptima, Orange , Data Analyst, Int. (BHI), Professions , Orange, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!